Sunday, June 26, 2011

Review One Man and his Bike - Mike Carter

Just left the following review on Amazon

Just finished reading Mike Carter's One Man and his Bike and I loved it. Ok I had a vested interest for reading the book as both my Dad and myself get a mention, but that aside, this book shows that Britain is not broken.


One Man and his Bike takes the reader on a journey around the coast of Britain. Mike writes really well and the book is a compelling and an enjoyable read. In places I found myself laughing out loud especially when he talks about what he packed in his panniers! There is no room on a bike for a “just in case” ! He talks about the places and the people he meets on his trip. How strangers want to talk to you, are interested in what you are doing and most of all offer such kindness. I know this to be true as while Mike was cycling anti-clockwise around Britain my Dad was cycling clockwise. Strangers think nothing of inviting you into their home, feeding you and offering you a bed for the night.

Most people will have visited or know of the places that Mike talks about so when reading this book it will bring back many fond memories of times spent around the coast of Britain.

For anyone with a bike, a tent and few months on their hands, forget about doing Lejog/Jogle this is what you should be doing. Oh and don’t do it for charity …. do it for the fun of.

No comments:

Post a Comment